Monday, July 12, 2010

Roaming around the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibit

   After a morning of laundry and discovering my new cat's hiding place I made my way over the Nathan Phillips Square to enjoy the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibit.  It was wondeful to see so many great artists gathered together to show new work and sell it directly to the public, I'm always excited to browse around all the booths.

I visited Emily Gill to give her a small break to buy ice cream and to congratulate her on winning the "Best of Jewellery" category.  Congratulations Emily, looks like all the hard work you have been doing has paid off for the second year in a row, woohoo! 

I stopped by Amanda DelaCruz's booth to check out her new work.  I first met Amanda at the 2009 grad show at the Ontario College of Art and Design and since then she has taken an enameling course at Jewel Envy.  She has been busy ever since, got herself a kiln and has been creating lovely work combining enameled pieces with fabric and ribbon. It was wonderful to see such a breadth of new work from her, keep it up Amanda!

I passed by Joyce Jia-Yi Yang's booth and paused to look over miniture trowels and spades made with mokume handles.  Also an amazingly constructed umbrella fabricated out of metal - truly amazing!

Another jeweller that I took note of was Ko Park.  She has created amazing CAD created rings that you can assemble together with alternative acrylic parts, they are so much fun!

I ended off the day chatting with Kristofir Dean catching up with him since his visit to Toronto from B.C. is coming to an end and I left the show with one of his paintings, I'm such a lucky girl!

I had a good time browsing around, if you didn't be sure to check out the artists links I attached and take a peak!  You can also check the online catalogue of artists from the show.

Ciao!
Alexis

No comments:

Post a Comment