Saturday, December 7, 2013

DIY: Make Your Rings Fit Better In The Cold Weather

If you're anything like me, the size of your fingers changes with the weather. In the summer heat they're much bigger and once the winter cold sets in they shrink. This can be pesky if you like to wear lots of different rings and even more annoying if they're big top-heavy rings. Add bonus points if you have straight or tapered fingers with no knuckles to help keep things in place and you've got rings flying everywhere!
Sometimes moving the ring to another finger isn't an option or you just really want to wear it on that particular finger. So what can we do? There's a little trick I learned as a temporary fix. Keep in mind, I don't recommend this as a permanent solution to a ring that is always too big. For that, I would get it professionally resized. This is more for the rings you wear from time to time that will fit in the summer but not in the winter when fingers often shrink down from the cold.
Ok! Now that that's clarified, I'll show you what I did to my ring.
Here is the prototype for a ring from my Bed of Bones collection. I really enjoyed wearing this ring in the summer but now it is way too big.Currently it is a size 9 and I don't want to wear it on any other finger because of the large top. I'd heard of people rolling up packing tape or masking tape and putting that on the inside of the ring but I didn't think that would be very comfortable and would be kind of sticky. Then I found this stuff with my band aids:
It's this foam tape that you put in your shoes where they're rubbing against your feet. It's just sticky enough to stay put but it pulls away without any residue. I used scissors to cut a thin strip and placed it inside the ring.
Now the gap is filled and my ring has gone down to a size 7 1/4! It fits much better and isn't flopping around or falling off. I think this works best for rings with big tops or wide bands so it hides the foam tape. I'm not sure how well this would stand up water and sweat but it IS meant to go inside your shoes so it probably has some resistance. Alternatively you could use something much stickier like Moleskin which is meant to go directly on your feet (I swear this isn't a plug for Dr. Scholl's) but that would probably leave some residue behind that would need to cleaned off with alcohol or acetone. If you end up in that territory, be careful of stones or faux stones made of plastic that could be damaged by the chemicals.

Anyways, I hope this was helpful and that you can now comfortably wear your favourite rings in the winter!
-L

No comments:

Post a Comment