Saturday, August 9, 2014

What do you want to be when you grow up?

What do you want to be when you grow up? Such a common question asked when growing up. Some people just know what they want to be, but for others it can take years. It took me 27 years to figure it out, however once I did, I have not looked back.

Today I am just like every other struggling student in Canada, trying to "make it" in the world. I am a student at Vancouver Community Collage taking the two year Jewellery Art and Design program. It has been a life changing experience so far. My first year has been completed, what to do, what to do. One of my wonderful teachers Karin Jones sent out an email that Jewel Envy based in Toronto, was looking for a summer intern. After a lot of thought I decided I have nothing to loose, yet so much to gain. this would be a great way to keep learning over the summer, and to work with other more experienced jewellers.

I sent in my application and hoped for the best. After playing the waiting game and having a wonderful phone interview with Gillian Batcher I finally got the internship. I was so happy when I read the email of acceptance I literally jumped across the classroom yelling I got the internship.

Jewel Envy has some amazing designers, friendly atmosphere and great teachers. Every day I am learning something new. They understand how to work with beginners like myself. I have till the end of August with them. I am very excited for my second year at VCC, however I know I will miss the Jewel Envy family.   

If you are in Toronto and would like to explore the art of making jewellery then I recommend taking a look at Jewel Envy's classes.


Sheetal K. Naicker





No comments:

Post a Comment