Sunday, January 25, 2015

Up close and personal

Jewellery photography is a tricky and time-consuming endeavour that makes me curse and grit my teeth and shake my fist at the heavens. Despite all my best efforts, every image seems to be slightly off, be it the focus, or the colour, or the weirdo reflections.

 Recently I decided to cut my losses and purchase a macro lens. I haven't had a chance to really test it out, but today I took some practice shots. I didn't use a lightbox or proper lights, just a white piece of paper, a tripod, and an ordinary desk lamp.

What do you think?

 

Rose stud earrings by Amanda Henderson (Jewelust)

 Textured earrings with sapphires and aquamarines by Ellen Tsai (Ellolite)

 Africa pendant with emerald by Hyewon Jang (H Jewelry)

Art deco pendant with marcasites by Lauren Hanham (Lauren Hanham Jewellery Designs)

Five-band ring by Sasha Oda (Archerade)

So far so amazing, right!? The detail in the close-ups is great, and getting the pieces in focus was a breeze. This might not be as exciting for you, but if you knew the hours I have spent trying to get just half-way decent images... well you'd probably feel sorry for me, but then you'd start feeling the excitement too. Excitement for the future of my jewellery photography yay!

~sash

No comments:

Post a Comment