Saturday, April 1, 2017

GET STONED


Oooh look at this stone! It's Arizona Chrysocolla, and it is just so beautiful. I love earthy gemstones, and this one in particular, with the shades of blue and green, and the matrix for texture and depth... what a knockout! It almost looks like the bird's eye view of a turquoise blue ocean. I wish I had a neverending supply of this stone...

 

So I do not have a neverending supply, but I've decided to use this stone for inlay work. I don't have the knowledge or tools to cut stones myself, but luckily I know a great lapidarist (hi Chorlun!!!) who can get the job done. Inlay work involves cutting and shaping a slice of stone, to fit perfectly and seamlessly into your piece.

This is the ring I made with the stone:

If you have ever considered having a piece custom made, choosing your own rough stone is such an amazing way to make the piece truly unique and one of a kind. And if you didn't already know, every single goldsmith here at Jewel Envy loves doing custom work:)

Happy weekend!





No comments:

Post a Comment